Monday 17 December 2012

YAY: Lucky Tsotsi Shebeen & Bar

Awesome Artwork!
Woo, my first blog post! LOL. Anyway, on Sunday, 9th December, I went on an outing with my cousin to Luna Park. We had heaps of fun! Anyway, the real highlight of my trip was going to this restaurant. It's a South African restaurant located in the quaint suburb of Darlinghurst. A shebeen is a makeshift bar, generally located in the poor townships in Africa. The decor of the restaurant really matched this.


Alright so we were getting really hungry and so we decided with no hesitation. So initially we ordered the Sipho's Durban Samoosas. It was basically curry puff with curried vegetable inside. It was served with Mrs Balls Chutney (which is a product of SA) and minted yoghurt. When it came out, it looked rather ordinary in appearance and looked like the ones you would find in cheap Asian buffets. HOWEVER, I was blown away by my first bite, it tasted like no samosa I had ever eaten before. The chutney and minted yoghurt accompanied the samoosas perfectly! I was so hesitant to share the last one with my cousin :]. Shortly after, our next dish arrived, the Cheesy Garlic Roll. Generally, I despise cheesy stuff, but this was actually quite nice and was a great side dish!


Sipho's Durban Samoosas ($9.90)

Cheesy Garlic Roll ($3.90)


Bakgat Bunny Chow ($15.90)
So we on a high at this point in time. The food was just so wonderful. We did not think the experience could get any better, but it did! Out came the most creative thing I have ever seen. Curry in hollowed out bread. Known as "Bunny Chow", it originates from the Indian population of Durban, South Africa and is the nations answer to fast food! The one we had was a Chicken Curry served with sambals and minted yoghurt and chutney. BEWARE: It is pretty hot. But otherwise, it was simply D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!



What an experience. The food was just delicious, the ambience was damn right quirky and the service was just incredible. The waiter always had a smile on his face and was just friendly!

Food: 10/10
Service: 10/10
Ambience: 10/10
About: 245 Oxford St Darlinghurst, NSW.
(02) 8354 1306
(My first post, would probably get more stricter as I progress with this blog)

Lucky Tsotsi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment