Saturday 29 March 2014

NAY: Bavarian Bier Cafe Parramatta

Converted church... Brilliant!
Deli Platter
I am currently doing a national study on Germany in Modern History, which prompted me to try the German cuisine! The first thought which came into my head was: beer; and lots of it. This expectation was met, as jugs of beer lined the table. As I was underage, I was required to wear a wristband, which I found to be rather absurd as I could have easily taken it off. Anyway, the Parramatta branch of the Bavarian Bier Cafe is located in a converted church, which I found to be simply exquisite.



We quickly ordered our meals, only to be faced with an unreasonably long wait. Granted that it was packed to the brink, but nonetheless, time management could definitely have been better. For entree we ordered the Bavarian Delikatessen Platter, which comprised of various cured meats, pickles, pork belly, house baked bread and pate as well as Haus-Made Bavarian Pretzel. They forgot to bring us our bread, which required a subtle reminder from us, but this did not annoy us just as yet. I can confidently proclaim that everything on that platter was delicious. The hams were great, the pate was yummy and the pickles were quite pleasant. However, it must be acknowledged that the platter was simply various cured meats thrown onto a plate, but regardless, was delicious. The pretzel was also among one of the best pretzels i've had.

Bavarian Tasting Platter
The wait for main ensued, and we became disgruntled customers. The orange juice that we ordered sixty years ago never arrived, once again, needing a subtle nudge to the waitress. For mains, we ordered the Bavarian Tasting Platter, the Roasted Pork Belly and a Swiss Schnitzel. I only tried my Swiss Schnitzel, which I ordered with a side of potato salad, and I can honestly say, that this was mediocre at best. The local pub does better schnitzel, the potato salad was not even a salad and a huge piece of lettuce just lay they whispering "don't even bother eating me". My other diners rather enjoyed their meals, especially my cousin who had the Tasting Platter, which allowed her to taste everything from schnitzel to pork belly. Also, the side of onion rings was delish!

Swiss Schnitzel
Roasted Pork Belly
We then decided to eat dessert elsewhere. In all, I was initially fairly pleased with the restaurant, but after a few moments of reflection, I have to say, I was rather disappointed. I guess I had high expectations, and they just weren't met. I will be going to another German restaurant in the near future, and hopefully, it restores my faith in the German cuisine.

Food: 6/10
Service: 6/10
Ambiance: 9/10

About:
Address: 2-8 Phillip St, Parramatta NSW 2150
Phone:(02) 8836 1400

Bavarian Bier Café Parramatta on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment